A dal with greens that is a breeze to prepare despite the long list of ingredients is Chukkakura pappu. The tangy flavor of Chukkakora offsets the earthiness of the dal with green chillis providing the spice to balance out the flavors. A classic, down to earth Andhra recipe that is nutritious, full of iron and protein, and a flavor that is irresistible with finger licking goodness. One of my favorite pappu kura!
- malabar spinach
- 1 small cup tur dal/red gram dal/kandi pappu
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups finely chopped chukka koora (adjust)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped (optional)
- big pinch turmeric pwd
- 2-3 green chillis, slit lengthwise
- 1/2 tsp chopped ginger
- salt to taste
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 3-4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 dry red chillis, de-seed and tear
- 10-12 fresh curry leaves
- 2 tsps oil
Method for making Chukkakura Pappu
- In a pressure cooker, place dal, chukka kura leaves, onions, tomatoes, green chillis, ginger and turmeric pwd. Add 2 cups of water and pressure cook upto 2 whistles. If cooking over stove top, cook till the dal is almost cooked.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed vessel, add mustards seeds and as they jump around, add cumin seeds, garlic, red chillis and curry leaves and stir fry for a few seconds.
- Add this to the pressure cooked dal and combine. Cook on slow to medium flame for a few mts till you get the consistency of your choice.
- Serve with white rice.