Dondakaya Pachadi is a classic Andhra style chutney that is popular and simple to make. Ivy gourd (tindora/tendli/gherkins) is abundantly available throughout the year in our part of the world and finds it way to our kitchen almost every week. You will find numerous Andhra veg recipes using dondakaya on the blog since I love this vegetable. And am wondering why it took so long for today’s recipe to make it to the blog.
Those of you who have been following my recipes closely will notice that I add jaggery to many chutney and curry recipes. I like to add a hint of sweet which balances out the flavors in many Andhra style dishes. Try this everyday vegetarian chutney that is eaten with warm rice, a dollop of ghee and sliced onion by the side.
Dondakaya Pachadi ~ Ivy Gourd Chutney Recipe
- Dondakaya - 1/4 kg, nip the ends and cut into rounds
- Red chilies - 2, tear and de-seed
- Green chilies - 3, slit into two
- Garlic - 6 cloves, crushed
- Bengal gram - 1 1/2 tbsps
- Urad dal - 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- OIl - 1 tbsp
- Tamarind - 1/2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Jaggery - 1/2 tsp
- For poppu/tadka/tempering:
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Red chili - 1, tear and de-seed
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Asafoetida - pinch
- OIl - 1 tsp
- Heat oil in a vessel, add cumin seeds, urad dal, channa dal, red chiilies and saute for 3 mts. Add green chilies, garlic and dondakaya pieces and saute for 8-10 mts. The dondakaya should be slightly brown as shown in the picture above. Turn off heat and allow to cool.
- Grind all the above ingredients to a coarse paste, adding tamarind, salt and jaggery. Add 1 to 2 tbsps of water, if required. Remove to a serving bowl.
- In a small pan, add a tsp of oil and once hot, add mustard seeds. Once the seeds jump around, add red chili, curry leaves and saute for few seconds. Pour over the chutney. Serve with hot rice and a dollop of ghee.
- Jaggery is optional.
- Those who do not garlic can avoid it and add a large pinch of hing during tempering/tadka.
Simple chutney like Dondakaya pachadi with warm rice is comfort food for me. Andhra veg recipes boast of numerous chutney recipes that delight our soul.