The versatile Idli recipe can take on many avatars. Today’s Carrot Idli features colorful grated carrot along side a spiced herb-y mix of green chilies, coriander leaves and cumin. Apart from providing nutrition Carrot Idli is packed with flavor and visual appeal. You can either used fresh coriander or fresh mint, depending on what you have on hand. I personally like the subtle flavor of fresh coriander.
Dunk the idlis in warm sambar right before serving and you have a delicious bowl of comforting food on a cold winter morning. I served the Idli with a fiery ginger chutney, radish sambar (prepared the earlier day as a side for sponge dosa) and coconut chutney.
- Prep time:
- Cook time:
- Serves: 5
- urad dal
- Urad Dal - 1 cup, (Minappa Gullu/Black gram dal)
- Idli Rava - 2 cups
- Salt to taste
- Cooking Soda - pinch (soda bi carbonate)
- For coriander mix: grind to a coarse paste
- Coriander leaves - 1/4 cup, packed
- Green chilies - 2
- Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
- Soak urad dal for 2-3 hrs. Soak the idli rava in water separately for an hour before mixing with urad dal batter.
- After 2 hours drain the water from the urad dal and grind till soft and fluffy. Keep aside.
- Squeeze out the water from the idli rava and add to the ground urad dal batter. Mix well using your hand.
- Place the mixture in a warm place for 8-10 hours or overnight to let the idli mixture ferment. The fermentation is slow in winter and quick during summer. The key to soft and fluffy idlis is in the fermentation process. After 10 hours you will find that the mixture will rise to at least double the volume.
- After fermentation, add salt and pinch of soda bi carbonate and mix well. Add the ground coriander leaves mixture and mix well. The batter is now ready to make idlis.
- Grease idli maker plates with some oil. Place a half a tbsp of grated carrot in each depression and pour idli batter over it.
- Steam covered for about 12-14 minutes. Turn off heat and remove the lid after a couple of minutes. Remove each idli carefully with a spoon and serve warm with sambar or chutney.
- Mint can be substituted for fresh coriander leaves
- Crushed pepper corns can be substituted for green chilies
Published: Idli, among the South Indian veg dishes is versatile with many variations. One of the healthy breakfast recipes for tiffin, Carrot Idli, is a hit with kids.
Idli, among the South Indian veg dishes is versatile with many variations. One of the healthy breakfast recipes for tiffin, Carrot Idli, is a hit with kids.