Dondakaya aka Tindora/Tendli is available all round the year and is a regular in our kitchen. I made a simple and comforting rice dish featuring dondakaya as the star ingredient. The combination of dondakaya and fresh coconut is eternally comforting especially as a stir fry. Perfumed with whole garam masala, spiced with green chilies, sweetened with coconut, Dondakaya rice recipe is jazzed up with a squeeze of fresh lemon and brightened with fresh coriander. All you tindora haters, I encourage you to try Tindora rice which is sure to get your tastebuds dancing.
I served the Tindora rice with our favorite Aloo kurma, the recipe of which I will post soon. Its a slightly different version of the Aloo Kurma recipe I posted earlier.
Dondakaya Annam ~ Tindora (Ivy Gourd) Rice Recipe
- Basmati Rice: 2 cups (long grained rice) cooked such that each grain is separate
- Onion: 1 (large) finely sliced
- Oil: 2 tbsp oil
- Ghee: 1/2 tbsp ghee
- Ginger garlic paste: 1 tsp
- Garam masala: Whole (4 cloves, 1" cinnamom, 1 elachi, 1 star anise, 1 bay leaf)
- Coconut paste: 2 tbsps
- Coriander powder: 1 tsp
- Cumin powder: 1/4 tsp
- Red chili powder: 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder: 1/4 tsp
- Ivy Gourd: 1/4 kg (nip the ends and slit each length wise into two long pieces)
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice: 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves for garnish
- Coarsely crush (do not make a paste):
- Coriander leaves: 5 tbsps (chopped)
- Pudina leaves: 7-8 (chopped)
- Green chillis: 2
- Heat 1 1/2 tbsp oil+1/2 tbsp ghee in a cooking vessel, add the halved dondakayalu/tindora and saute on medium flame till well roasted, approx 15 mts.
- Remove them onto a plate and keep aside.
- In the same vessel, add the remaining oil. Add whole spices and bay leaf and saute for half a minute.
- Add the sliced onions and saute for 6 mts.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and crushed coriander-pudina-green chillis and saute for 3 mts.
- Add the coconut paste and mix. Saute for 2 mts.
- Add coriander pwd, cumin powder, tumeric pwd and red chili pwd and mix.
- Add the sauteed dondakayalu and mix. Cook for 7-8 mts.
- Add the cooked rice and salt to taste and mix. Place lid and cook on low flame for 2-3 mt. Add lemon juice and mix.
- Turn off heat and remove onto a serving bowl. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve warm with raita or any curry of your choice.
- Vegans can omit ghee/clarified butter and use only oil.
- If you do not have pudina on hand, omit it. But fresh coriander is essential for this recipe.
- Tindora rice will taste good even without coconut paste.
- Put the rice to boil and start the preparation process like slicing tindora, crushing green chilies, making coconut paste and slicing onions.
I made a simple and comforting rice dish featuring dondakaya as the star ingredient. Perfumed with whole garam masala, spiced with green chilies, sweetened with coconut, Dondakaya rice recipe is jazzed up with a squeeze of fresh lemon and brightened with fresh coriander.